Abandoned shrimp ponds before and after waste collection, Tan Xuan Hamlet, Gio Viet Commune, Gio Linh District, Quang Tri Province © IUCN Vietnam, 2013
The project aims to improve environment quality in the mangroves areas and restore mangrove ecosystems at abandoned shrimp ponds at Tan Xuan Hamlet, Gio Viet Commune, Gio Linh District within Thach Han Downstream, Quang Tri Province.
The rapid expansion of shrimp farms is said to be one of the main reasons causing a significant decrease in mangrove coverage in Tan Xuan Village. Due to the growing persistence of saline water intrusion and pollution, shrimp farming became less economically viable. Many households abandoned their shrimp ponds, which subsequently became waste dumping sites for the whole village; endangering the remaining mangroves in the area.
Previously, a project tried to reduce solid waste pollution by establishing a landfill site in one village where people from surrounding villages could dump their trash and by arranging for garbage trucks to take household waste to the landfill. However, almost all the villagers were fishermen who believed that bringing waste from other villages brings bad luck. Therefore, after the project ended the garbage trucks were not used anymore and the waste pollution remained an issue that needed a long-term solution.
QTCEMT proposed an SGF project for dealing with village waste collection and treatment as well as improving water quality in the polluted shrimp ponds by cleaning up the dumped waste and replanting mangroves around the ponds.
- 246 households in the commune
- 10 abandoned shrim ponds owners
- 60% of local people and local authorities demonstrate improvement in their awareness of the importance of environment protection and roles of mangroves in climate change response;
- Local people in Tan Xuan Commune dispose trash in approved places as opposed to dumping in mangroves areas;
- Regulations on protecting the environment, managing rural waste and protecting mangroves in the project area are formulated;
- 2 hectares of mangroves are planted around shrimp ponds.
- Climate change
Tan Xuan Hamlet is located in Gio Viet Commune, Gio Linh District, Quang Tri Province
1st Sep 2012 to 30th Jun 2013
Mrs. Bui Thi Thuy Nhi (Project Coordinator)
Quang TriCenter for Environmental Monitoring and Technology
Address: Highway 1A – Dong Giang Ward - Dong Ha City - Quang Tri Province
Tel: 84-53 3527115
Fax: 84-53 3555623