Household income of selected families depend on Manmunai lagoon increased
1) Skill training on agriculture to the beneficiaries
2) Providing of necessary garden tools and planting material and development of 80 home gardens
3) Awareness Program on soil conservation
4) Planting trees to prevent erosion
5)Awareness on legal concern by the Divisional Secretariat and the police to the beneficiaries
1. 80 home gardens
2. Skills on home gardening and soil conservation methods enhanced (80 beneficiaries).
1. About 70 beneficiaries continue with home gardening.
2. Income of the beneficiaries has increased by 70%.
Gender balance is ensured as beneficiaries comprised of both female and male. On knowledge products, a leaflet on agriculture technologies (in Tamil language) was prepared by the Agriculture Department.
Under the project objective, the first expected result is “the new livelihood activities are introduced to the families depend on Manmunai lagoon”. However on behalf of this livelihood activities, the project addressed only home gardening activity even there are number of income generation activities are interested by the beneficiaries.
If the project is done again, a feasibility analysis should be conducted to find the different livelihood activities with existing home gardening activities to the beneficiaries.
Batticaloa (Villages bordering the Manmunai Lagoon)
21st Oct 2013 to 20th Oct 2014
LKR 924,000 (SEDO)
Tel: + 94 065 2251 349/ 077 6231577email: Sedogltd8@yahoo.com
" We are grateful to MFF for the assistance provided" - Ms S Sivapriya, Thethathivu (beneficiary)